Last night was one of the worst nights of my short life (when you get to #5 you will see why) and yet it was also a great night because my wife absolutely blew me away in the way that she served me and cared for me. I don’t have a good reason for choosing to give you 5 examples, 5 just sounded like a good number, trust me there are many more than 5 examples of how my wife points me to Christ! In no particular order:
1. Jennifer tells me she is proud of me. She doesn’t do it all the time, she is selective in telling me this in a good way. She can tell when I have really been working hard on something and I really put a lot of prayer or energy into something and she lets me know about it. She just says, “Drew I am really proud of you, you worked really hard on that and the Lord is going to bless it.” I know I am not supposed to live for man’s praise but knowing that my wife is proud of me is tremendously encouraging and reminds me to perserve in serving the Lord.
2. Jennifer loves it when I lead her spiritually. When I lead us in prayer or bible study or even singing she is thrilled and thankful–she is always telling me that I lead her well. When I don’t lead her well, she is patient and reminds me that we need to have family worship today. She wants me to love Jesus more and I love her for it!
3. Jennifer tells me when I am in sin. She doesn’t do it in a demeaning way or in a “I am better than you”-way. She lovingly and patiently reminds me to go to the Lord. If there are any men reading this, know this, exercising spiritual leadership over your wife never means being unwilling to accept her rebuke! I ask for accountability from my wife and she asks it from me. I am to love her like Christ loves the church and be willing to give myself up for her–I hope every day of my life will be a further plumbing of the depths of that truth!
4. Jennifer laughs at all my jokes–seriously–just about all of them! She has a wonderfully infectuous laugh and I can say the most ridiculous jokes around her and she still laughs! That is a good thing I think.
5. Last night I had the worst migraine headache I have ever had. I spent the greater part of last night curled up in the fetal position on the bathroom floor. I literally puked at least 8 times (sorry for those of you who are easily grossed out but puking is a part of living in a fallen world!). The whole time I went between puking and lying in the fetal position, Jennifer was sitting beside me, getting me water, scratching my back, rubbing my temple, bringing me cleanex and just serving and standing by me the whole night! Jennifer serves me without me asking her to. She serves me out of love for her savior. I was a disgusting mess last night but it really wasn’t that bad because Jennifer was beside me the whole time.
I don’t want to sound too bragy–but I have a wonderful wife. If you read this Jennifer, thank you for constantly pointing me to Christ, for serving me, and for loving me more than I deserve!